Meet Hannah!



This is Hannah. She is a rockstar. She is so much of a rockstar, that I decided to hire her to run my lil’ business while I am volunteering and studying in Kenya + Rwanda for two months! 

Since I will not have access to my telephone or the internet while I am abroad, Hannah will be my right hand gal. If you send me an inquiry after January 10th, this will be the face on the other end of the screen! Hannah will be answering emails, booking photoshoots, weddings, sending out reference lists, and handling all your inquiries. Please continue to contact us through shelbypaynephotography.com (or shoot an email to shelbypaynephoto@gmail.com), and she will be greeting you with a response within a few days.

Please be patient with us as we embark on this, uhm, experiment??!
Really, by "experiment", I mean a horribly funny test of my patience and control. Still confused? Let me explain....

Since beginning college 4 years ago, I had envisioned studying abroad in some way or another. However, my job as a wedding photographer seemed to come in between my aspirations of living abroad. Since my freshman year of college, I had committed to photographing weddings year round and the academic programs and my schedule never worked out to my benefit. I had initially planned to follow through with an internship in India this past fall, but due to many many factors, I chose to look into other options. Then this trip to Kenya came up just days after I made the decision to forgo my internship in India... and it magically worked with my schedule! Woohoo PTL hallelujah!

I quickly and excitedly filled out the extensive application, had an interview, and was told on June 15th (the last day of spring quarter) that I was accepted. But the kicker: I didn’t really know what I would be getting myself into. When speaking with the two faculty members who are leading the trip, they mentioned it will be a “service-learning” trip based on creating relationships with the people in the village where we will be living, and studying community development. I was stoked about it! I worked my booty off to save money throughout the summer so I could make this potentially awesome experience a reality in my life. 

A month before our departure, I was told I wouldn't have internet, couldn't bring my laptop, or be able to use my phone while living in the rural Kenyan village. I was pissed. Then I felt like an idiot because how could I have not considered the fact wi-fi would be nonexistent? I suppose I figured since I will be going for school, we would be required to bring our laptops and such. Nope, not the case. After I rolled my eyes at myself, I started to panic... Because how could I RUN MY BUSINESS WITHOUT INTERNET. After all, the only reason I was able to afford to have this incredible opportunity is because of my sweet job. And now, my professors are expecting me to give that up for two months? And they didn't seem to care one bit? Ugh. 

In my frustration, I reached out to a handful of friends by sending a frantic email along the lines of "SOS I need someone to check my email a few times a week and call me once a week on my little brick phone and take inquiries so I can have a job when I get home and make a bit of money to survive. Also let me occasionally vent and cry to you from my lil African home" Of course, all my loving and generous friends said "Yes!! We will help!" Hannah was one of those friends. Hannah is task oriented, hardworking, passionate, and one of the sweetest women I have came across. She dabbles in photography herself, and has been by my side since I bought my first DSLR.


She will be replying to emails, and then briefing me every couple weeks, so I remain in the loop just a tad- also so I can have the chance to say "Heck yes! Absolutely book that underwater wedding in the Bahamas!". Even though Hannah will have access to my scheduling calendar, she may say "Shelby will contact you when she returns mid-march to schedule your family photos, portraits of your dog, etc." Your patience is greatly appreciated in this process!!


So there you have it. Hannah will taking over and I will be giving up control over one of the only things that I feel like I have "control" over in my life. This will be a huge test of my patience. I have watched my business evolve from a horribly ugly photoshoot to now being a full time wedding photography gig. Even though I cringe at this prideful statement, I am really really freakin' proud of what Shelby Payne Photography is. Its my baby, my well being. So duhhh, giving up control for 2 months will be a tough change. BUT. It will also be a much needed break, because even though I love SPP, I also kinda sorta hate it because it takes much much much of my time and energy and sometimes I feel burnt out and bitter.


I am crazy excited to live in a rural village for a couple months. To focus on people and love them without the distraction of a computer or cell phone that is glued to my hand. This opportunity will give me the gift of being present- which has been harder and harder for me. I will be challenged to work on my New Year resolution (to listen with intention and without interrupting) and will also be challenged to learn what "giving it up, to get more" means. Because isn't that what life should really be about? Giving up certain things so you can experience others more fully.

Well, here we go!